Sunday, June 7, 2009

Fiddle-dee-dee

The fiddle performance is next Saturday, and, while I can play the tunes, I still do not have them reliably memorized enough to play them without the music though. I am fine alone--but sometimes fall apart when playing with the others. And we added two tunes, making a total of 6. One is Ashokan Farewell, which I can play from memory (and I am playing the melody in this one, not a harmony part), but I am not familiar enough with the other new one, Midnight on the Water, to even attempt memorizing it in a week.

So, I will play with sheet music. All the others will play from memory. In my defense, the cello parts are harder than the fiddle parts, which are all played in first position, and the fiddlers are all playing melody parts. I am disappointed to have to use sheet music, but my practice time has been so limited that I am quite happy to be playing at all!

2 comments:

Marilee Rockley said...

I don't think it will make any difference to the audience that you are using sheet music. Enjoy the concert!

Maricello said...

Thanks Yarnplayer! With any luck, everyone in the audience will be whirling around the dance floor, their eyes on each other and not on me!