Tuesday, July 15, 2008

First Orchestra Rehearsal

Our new orchestra met for the first time last night. We had a good turnout of about 33 people, including 9 cellists, violins, violas, a bassoon, a bass clarinet, 2 flutes, 2 oboes, several trumpets, French horn, and possibly others. We should perhaps change our name to the mostly all cello orchestra.

We played "Sonate 2 da Chiesa" by Corelli and the Rosamunde Overture by Schubert. Both of these are free scores we found online. We were uncertain how many people would show up, and what instruments they would bring, but the random assemblage of players seems to be working out well.

I chanced to meet a young woman visiting from Scotland, a cellist, and invited her to join us (luckily, I have two cellos). She is a great musician, and it was a treat to sit next to her. On my other side was the bassoon player, also a strong player. I didn't get every note, but I played better with their help.

We were pleased with the turnout, with our conductor, and with the beautiful music we produced. It's a good thing, a community orchestra!

2 comments:

cellodonna said...

Sounds like a great time. It's amazing how the other players in the orchestra can help carry you along.

Oh yes, community orchestra is most definitely a good thing. Just the thought of it has the power to cancel the effects of a bad day.

Maricello said...

Hi Donna, yes, I agree, especially with that last sentence. I was feeling completely exhausted before the rehearsal (and again afterward), but while I was there, I felt great!