Friday, March 6, 2009

Orchestra update

A couple of weeks ago, the first-stand cellists were both planning on being absent on the same night, moving me and my stand-mate up to first position. We were struggling with the music, and I was not looking forward to struggling publicly. Last season, there was a night when the first two cellists were both out on the same night, but it was further into the season, and I think we second-stand cellists did pretty well. This was too soon in the season, though; the music has many challenging sections, and it is flying by at a rapid pace!

Miracle of miracles, a new cellist showed up that night, a really good cellist--a teacher of cello and other strings who had performed all our piece in the past. It was great playing with her, and, instead of a disaster, the evening was fun, though still challenging. She is a boon all of us.

I am still practicing, both slowly and for speed, and making progress, though still having weeks, like this one, when impending deadlines reduce my practice time to 10 or 15 minutes a day. There are other times, like Thursdays, when I have an hour and 45 minute lesson (a "group" hour shared with a friend, followed by my 45 minute lesson), an hour's practice in the afternoon, and a 2 and a half hour orchestra rehearsal. That will dent your fingers.

The concert is in a month, and I am still not where I would like to be, but I am learning a lot, and that is a good thing!

No comments: