Monday, April 7, 2008

Time for practicing

I've been having a hard time finding time to practice the last couple of weeks. I know it's best to practice every day, even if only for 20 minutes, than to skip a day, or three, and try to make it up in a marathon practice session, but it has been hard finding even those 20 minutes.

Yesterday, I managed an hour and a half, but was so tired in the beginning (from lack of practicing) that it took 20 minutes just to warm up.

We have been playing Haydn's London Trios in our quartet though, so I have played through them several times, if imperfectly. How does a quartet play a trio, you might ask? Well, one night, the flutist was not able to come, so we were, in fact, a trio; and the second night, tonight, the violist played the cello part (which he had transposed for viola) with me, which seems to work fine. But, a little practicing would help me a lot.

I had asked the violist to transpose the part because I wanted, sometimes, to play flute and have him take the cello part, but, you know, as hard as it is to play the cello, it's harder not to.

No comments: