Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Perhaps, an orchestra

I met with a group of about ten musicians, and a potential coach/conductor/director, last night, all interested in starting a community chamber orchestra. The group seems pretty evenly balanced for a fairly randomly called together group: 3 cellists, 3 violinists, a violist, an oboe player, and a flute/clarinet player, and there are a few other interested people who couldn't make this meeting, as well as numerous people we can invite once we do a few basic things like find some appropriate sheet music and a place to rehearse.

We plan to meet to play in July, and, in the meantime, we'll look for music, etc. Please let me know if you have any ideas for Baroque/Classical/Folk music for strings and woodwinds!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I don't have any ideas for music, but I wanted to wish you luck. The orchestra I play in started off with such a "rag-tag" group, and now we're an 85 piece orchestra drawing about 700 per concert, more for the outdoor ones. :)

Maricello said...

Wow, that is pretty impressive! I think I might prefer a smaller group (about half that size), but you never know. It looks like another local orchestra will share their library with us (though they have many brass instruments, and at the moment we have none).