Thursday, March 29, 2007

Early Music cello trial night


I brought my trial cello to early music group tonight to get friends' opinions of it. They thought it had more sound, more resonance, and better dynamic range than my cello. It sounded particularly good with the harpsichord. This might be because, on most pieces we play, the cello part is the same as the left-hand harpsichord. So, when I know we are together, I play with more confidence.

The early music group plays mostly Baroque music (Bach, Handel, Corelli, Telemann, Vivaldi, Marais), but except for the harpsichord, we do not use period instruments. I enjoy the music, but I have no desire to play viola da gamba or recorder. Well, I'd like to try a gamba someday, but I don't want to stretch my musical inclinations any further than they already are.

Most of the people in the early music group play multiple instruments, which makes it more interesting. We can switch around and play different parts depending on the music and the attendance. Tonight we had flute, violin, cello, and harpsichord. The harpsichord player had been using an electronic keyboard, but tonight had moved his large harpsichord into the living room. What a wonderful improvement over the keyboard! And it sounded so good with the trial cello.

No comments: