Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Cello bow trial thoughts

I tried out cello bows today. I was a little worried about not being able to tell the difference between the various bows. After all, I have worked part-time at the shop for several years, and I have tried many bows without really feeling the differences between them. I felt it was silly to spend money on an expensive bow if I didn't play well enough to really appreciate them. I continued to play my $150 eBay bow.

Today, my cello teacher (also store manager, so this was kind of a unique sort of cello bow trial) selected several bows for me, more expensive than the shop bows I usually experiment with. I began to feel the differences in balance, weight, sound quality from behind and in front of the cello, and articulation. She gave me a very expensive bow to try, and I suddenly felt the bow as an extension of my arm, with control over the full length of the bow. Great bow! I am not going to buy that one, but it gave me a better understanding of what to look for in the less expensive bows.

Great fun, this trying out instruments and bows! I do believe my cello playing has already improved.

No comments: