Sunday, December 30, 2007

Clutter free, maybe

One of my standard new year's resolutions is to rid the house of clutter. I make progress every so often, then the clutter creeps back. This year, I am trying a quantifiable goal: Spend two hours a week decluttering. It's not lot of time, but, if I am consistent, I might make some headway, especially if I can get a family member to help.

I am thinking about clutter today because there was a story in the paper today amid the "Highlights of the Year 2007" about a woman who was involved in an auto accident in February because her car was so full of clutter that junk rolled under the gas pedal and she couldn't control the car. Then the authorities then went to her home and found it so full of stuff and junk that the only way in and out of the house was through a window! Yikes. Stories like that make me throw everything out right now! Well, except for all the music and art stuff...and some of the books....

4 comments:

MMG said...

Reminds me of my last year's resolution to throw out at least one thing a day. Erasing emails and taking out the garbage didn't count.

It's wishful thinking, just like practicing every day...but it's nice to have goals :)

Melissa said...

That sounds doable. Best of luck! Maybe I'll try it, too.

cellodonna said...

WOW! That's a wake-up call. Many years ago I made the very same resolution that Marisa mentioned; yup, wishful thinking. I even failed the "Flylady" system.

Maricello said...

Well, I was hoping to have a nice positive report by now about how successful my decluttering efforts have been. But I have had no time, and tomorrow we are off to Connecticut to visit family for the weekend. I did reorganize a kitchen shelf today.

Inch by inch, row by row.