Friday, May 2, 2008

Just Past the Middle of Nowhere

Long ago, I worked for the state office of energy resources and was part of an official visit to see an ecological research center on the Cape. They worked on renewable energy, agriculture aquaculture, housing and landscapes from 1971 to 1991, after which the site became an ecologically based community.

At the time of our excursion, it seemed to take forever to travel to the center, however wonderful it was, and I remember thinking, when we finally arrived, that it was "in the middle of nowhere."

A few years later (about 12 years ago), we bought a house just down the road from ecology center, which I like to think of as "just past the middle of nowhere." The Cape is not as rural as it used to be, of course, so that description is meaningful only to me.

Here's the point of this reminiscing: our fledgling chamber orchestra will be rehearsing in the auditorium at the former research center. I could walk there, it's so close. Interesting how the site has somehow become so centrally located.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I have kind of the same situation. When I was going to school in Austin, the Oasis restaurant was considered a day trip from campus. I now live about a mile from that restaurant and know lots of people who work at the University. Amazing growth.

On a totally unrelated note, I had a dream about your cello case last night. It was at a soccer game.

Maricello said...

How cool, your dreaming about my cello case! My son used to play a lot of soccer.

I am pondering whether I can take my cello to an orchestra concert next week, mostly for the photo, of course. I have a fiddle group rehearsal halfway to the concert, and not really enough time to bring it home. This might be asking too much of the concert hall folks, but it would be a cool photo. :-)

Paulette said...

I remember it taking forever to get to my Aunt and Uncle's house. When we got there, there was nothing around for miles. I now live past that and am barely outside the city boundaries.LOL Of course I think my take on forever was slightly skewed.