Monday, June 4, 2007

Giving up the cello. No, not me.

A friend told me over the weekend that she is taking a break from cello in order to explore other activities. At first I thought she was saying she was not going to take cello choir this summer in order to pursue her own cello interests, but gradually I understood that she might be breaking free of the cello entirely. An amateur musician, she has been playing for over 20 years. It is a little disturbing to me, this sloughing off of the cello, after years of commitment. Not for her, but more the implication that I might stop someday too.

It could happen, should physical frailty overcome me before the proverbial truck runs me over, but I can't imagine just setting the cello aside. Yet, there are other aspects to life.

I have been thinking about what I thought she said first: giving up ensembles to pursue your own cello goals. This is an idea I readily endorse.

I am "taking a break" from vocal choir and Town Band, and I will not be taking cello choir class this summer. That leaves me with three ensembles: flute choir, early music (Baroque) group, and the fiddlers, plus my Suzuki cello lessons. The flute choir has two performances this summer; the early music group, one, maybe two; and the fiddlers perform every week or two. I have a Suzuki cello recital coming up and cello fiddle camp in August. It still sounds like a lot, but I am relieved to be narrowing the list down a bit, to focus on improving my playing and on the music most meaningful to me right now.

4 comments:

Maricello said...

Thanks Biby! Your blog looks great, a big undertaking! I will take another look when I have more time.

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's remarkable to me that you play in so many groups in addition to your lessons.

I also feel afraid I'll give up cello (again). I even get afraid of losing my physical ability to play due to age-- even though that's not likely to happen for a good 20-30 years.

Guanaco said...

You do seem quite busy!

I always have that nagging doubt that one day I'll find some excuse not to practice, then again the next day, and so on....

But so far, so good.

Maricello said...

It is possible that I play in too many groups, and that practicing for 2 hours every night would be a better use of my time, in terms of advancing on the cello. But, I love playing with others, I enjoy the people, and I find it all very motivating. The groups are all somewhat different too, and I like that.

I have had weeks with 4 or 5 rehearsals and 2 or 3 performances. As much fun as that is, I've got to find time to squeeze in work, family, practicing and long walks on the beach.