Friday, August 3, 2007

To the Beach

I live on Cape Cod, surrounded by beaches, so one would think I would spend a lot of time at the beach. But, I hardly ever have time. Last year, I went to the beach once, toward the end of July, and I stopped in to see my son, who works at the beach concession stand. When I got there I discovered he had been taken to the emergency room with some form of heat exhaustion. He was doing fine by the time I got there though, and eventually I got back for a few minutes of sunset on the beach. I never got to the beach in August at all.

This year, I'm doing much better. I've been at least four or five times, even if it is just to grab a quick, but serene, lunch on the beach. It feels great.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try to go as often as you can. It's so therapeutic to 'veg out' with all that space in front of you. When I was a midwife working on the south coast of England I used to go for a swim at about 9.30 in the evening during the summer, and it was perfect.

CelloGeek said...

I think we all take for granted the things that are near us all of time. We live near beautiful mountains and I can't recall when the last time was that we went hiking in the mountains. I hope you take the time to enjoy the beach!

Maricello said...

Thanks for the encouragement! We went for an invigorating late-afternoon swim yesterday, my husband's birthday, and might even go again today.

CelloGeek, I hope you will take time for a hike, too, though just looking at the mountains must be wonderful too.

I am lucky (I think), in that my work is portable and I can bring it to the beach. I might try that this week. Removed from the Internet, I might actually get more work done! :-)

cellodonna said...

Go for it! Work at the beach whenever you have the opportunity. And bring lots of yummy snacks.

Maricello said...

Good idea Donna, about those snacks. But, I'd better make them low-calorie, as I am trying to lose weight!