Monday, November 5, 2007

Flute Choir Concert

I have to admit that I did not practice very much for Sunday's flute choir concert, except for rehearsals, until Sunday morning, in my colder than normal house. We were not satisfied with our last rehearsal, and joked about telling our audience that this would be an open rehearsal, not quite yet a performance. But, everyone must have practiced. Things went pretty well, I think--much, much better than our last rehearsal. There were no major screw-ups, and, at times, I thought we sounded quite good. I played flute this time, not cello.

We played for the residents of the assisted living center which gives us a place to rehearse every week. It's a great arrangement, and we love playing for them because they are so friendly and appreciative. Perhaps they were more appreciative than usual yesterday, given we had arrived just as the electric power was being restored, and prior to the cable television being restored. Everyone wanted to see the big game (football, the Patriots), but were quite happy with us while they waited. We brought muffins and cider, and dressed in autumn leaf colors--quite festive!

I should mention that we are really not a flute choir; we're a flute quartet. In the past we have had as many as eight players, but most flute choirs have 12 or 20 players with a full complement of piccolos, alto flutes, bass flutes, and even odd flutes like E flat flutes. We have one alto flute player. I love the sound of the alto flute. I sometimes play bass flute parts on the cello. I'd buy a bass flute, but they are way too expensive, around $4,000, and the bass flute parts are often optional and thus not always inspiring to play.

Next rehearsal, we start in on the Holiday music. For the past five or six years, we've been playing at a local library's holiday party. We're background music and play for about two hours, taking a break to sample the many wonderful snacks people bring. It's one of my favorite events.

Still no electric power at home.

No comments: