Saturday, November 3, 2007

It was a dark and stormy....

Note: I wrote this blog post on Saturday, but was not able to finish it and post it before we lost electric power. Since it is NaBloPoMo, I am claiming this as my Nov. 3 post! We still have no power. I am at my home-away-from-home, the violin shop, which is closed today.

It is a dark and stormy afternoon here on the Cape. We're waiting for the Nor'easter (remnants of Hurricane Noel), which is scheduled to slam* into the Cape sometime this evening. It is already battering* the Northeast coast. Already it is raining and the winds are gusting*.

(*Note that these are required words to use when writing about a storm.)

I do hope it clears up a bit this evening, as forecasted. My husband is planning to help chaperone a group of 7th and 8th graders to a symphony performance tonight. I opted out (having done my fair share of chaperoning when the kids were in high school), and hope to go to the movies with my daughter.

Going to a movie is actually a suggested exercise in noveling month. No Plot, No Problem, the official guide to NaNoWriMo, suggests that you take a break from writing during the first week to watch and analyze a tv show or movie for plot, character development, resolution, etc. A movie is, of course, not a book, but there are similarities.

I'd almost rather stay home and write, provided we still have electric power this evening, but I do need a break.

Some NaNoWriMo participants have actually finished their novels already, or at least claimed that they have. I find this hard to believe. I would write more if I didn't have these pesky work and family responsibilities, but I see no point in careening through this novel. It is kind of fun creating the characters and subplots and even going back an editing a little as I find my story diverging from earlier concepts (though you are supposed to hold off on editing until National Novel Editing Month).

No comments: