Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Red , White, and Blueberry

I meant to get some gorgeous photos of the neighborhood 4th of July parade today, but my batteries were not cooperating. We've been marching in this parade for years. It is not our neighborhood, but the neighborhood of friends I play flute with. It is a beautiful march route with glorious views of Vineyard Sound. The weather was great: sunny, not too hot, not too windy. Our hosts supply red T-shirts with the band logo on it, so we look pretty cool as we stroll along, playing for clumps of residents along the way. "March" would be too formal a word.

It is easier to march with a flute than a cello. I said to my husband, "We don't play while we are marching, just when we stop, usually in the shade. I could easily play the cello." He looked at me cautiously; I had to explain I was joking. It is hard enough to play the flute on some of those tunes, holding the flute off to an angle in an attempt to read the music strapped to my arm. Each year I think I should buy or design a better music holder, something like an around-the-neck harmonica holder, but a few inches away from the face. Then I forget about it for another year. A marching cello music holder would be a thing to behold. Oh, maybe I could haul a music stand around with me too!

We had a lot of adorable little kids playing drums this year, well-directed by an adult drummer. We also had 2 flutes, 1 clarinet, 2 saxophones, a baritone horn, my husband's bodhran (Irish drum). It sounded surprisingly good. We were followed by people in decorated cars, and lots of neighborhood residents, stretching out for several blocks. 76 trombones, in spirit.

We marched and played for about an hour, then gathered at our friends' house for a pot-luck feast. We talked and ate for about two hours, possibly negating the positive effects of all that exercise.

I always bring blueberry buckle, and everyone always raves about it, so I thought I would share the recipe, in lieu of photos, for those still into sugar and fat, with a touch of blueberry antioxidants. It's basically a Betty Crocker recipe I acquired when I was 18, with a couple of minor changes. I hope she won't mind.

Blueberry Buckle

3/4 C sugar
1/4 C margarine
1 egg
1/2 C milk
2 C flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 pint fresh blueberries

Crumb topping: mix together. Should be lumpy.
1 C sugar
2/3 C flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 C soft butter or margarine

Heat oven to 375. Mix margarine, sugar, and egg. Stir in milk. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Blend in blueberries. Spread in greased and floured glass pie plate. Sprinkle with crumb topping. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck into the center comes out clean. Serve warm.

I took mine out of the oven at 9 am this morning, and when we ate it at 11 am, it was still warm and lovely.

Happy 4th!

No comments: