Thursday, October 11, 2007

Musical medicine

I've been feeling under the weather the last couple of days. It is probably related to my daughter's weekend adventure. She went out to western Massachusetts to visit some college friends, and they went apple-picking. My daughter came home with a half-bushel of tart apples. That's a lot of apples. So, I think I ate too many apples. An apple a day keeps the doctor away, but two or three a day...not so much.

I didn't practice much the last couple of days due to the apple-induced queasiness, and, when I did practice, I just sounded awful. I went to church concert rehearsal tonight, full of excuses and apologies. As we played, though, and the music enveloped me, I gradually felt stronger. The other instruments seemed to make my cello sound good, and I played better than I had at home. There remains one tricky part that I have to work on, but we still have a couple of weeks and another couple of rehearsals, so all should be well, so long as we all stay healthy.

So, back to the apples. We made an apple pie, but there are still numerous apples remaining. Tomorrow, we'll make applesauce, which is, coincidentally, part of the BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast) bland diet. Kind of like the hair of the dog that bit you.

3 comments:

gottagopractice said...

I can empathize. I once went off cider for several years after a Fall frenzy of apple ingestion. These days when I have a surplus I have a paring party instead. I pare and cut all of the apples into pie cubes or slices, divvy them out 6 cups per gallon freezer bag and put in the remaining ingredients for apple pie - flour, sugar, salt, spices - mix well, and freeze. Then in March when Honeycrisp season is long over I microwave thaw one apple brick, pop the filling into a pie crust and have super easy fresh apple pie. I hate that queasy feeling.

cellodonna said...

Apples ALWAYS give me a stomach ache. But, I've noticed that once the apples are baked in a pie I can eat an unlimited amount. :)

After experiencing one of those yukky-headachy-sluggish days yesterday I dragged myself to orchestra rehearsal last night in the rain. Suddenly, without my even realizing it, all aches and ailments magically melted away as soon as we began playing. YAY for musical medicine!

Maricello said...

I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one. This is the first time I have overindulged in apples, in the back of my mind I was fearful it was something more serious.

Thanks for the great idea, GGP! I will make up a few apple bricks to dispose of the rest of them. These tart apples are quite mild and easy to digest in a pie, as Donna said. My husband, who could only take a few bites out of one apple, has managed to get through half the pie. :-)

Glad to hear your yukky day was cured with music, too, Donna!